Friday, August 7, 2009

Turkish dinner and Korean Children

My kids were really awesome today.  I greatly prefer my Monday-Wednesday-Friday to my Tuesday-Thursday.  I have kindergarten in the am and the pm on MWF, whereas on TT I have kindergarten am and then two math classes: one for kids at normal speed and one for three boys who are a little slow and quite poorly behaved.  It's my hardest class to teach, and there are half as many students as my next smallest class.  I had my two kindergartens today though, and a few cute things happened.

Thomas, who is really good at English, and very funny and talkative in general, was putting away his activity book because he finished early, and on his way back to his desk he passed a chair that wasn't pushed in, so he pushed it in.  Mind you, he's only six or seven years old.  Sonya, who is all the way across the room, calls out because it was her seat, and she was just getting something out of her backpack.  He goes back to the chair, pulls it out and waits for her to be done at her cubby (which was about a minute or so) and walk back over to her desk, then holds the chair for her and helps her scoot in.  Seriously, I know fully grown men that don't do that.  He's seven.  Chivalry, apparently, is not dead in Korea.

It's a good thing Linda is adorable, because she is not very bright.  This is not mean, it is a fact.  She has been in this school learning English for two years now, and she can't say or understand ANYTHING.  I ask her today what she was drawing and she stared at me blankly for about three minutes and then just looked away and started staring at the wall.  Half the time she can't keep her focus for more than ten seconds and she just stares off into space, or watches someone else do their work completely slack-jawed.  Even when my teaching partner, Grace, talks to her in Korean, she doesn't respond or show any signs of understanding.  But then she smiles and I forget my frustration, because she is the cutest child I think I've ever seen.  She has curly hair and cute clothes, but the main power of her cuteness comes totally from her smile.  She doesn't have her two middle teeth on top, and one of her middle teeth on the bottom, and when she smiles she does so with her mouth partly open and all her teeth (and the spaces where her teeth will soon be) show.  It makes me melt.  And it's seriously a good thing, because she can be pretty frustrating to work with.

After work today, Tonya asked me if I was hungry, which I was because I hadn't eaten a real meal yet.  Then Shannon said she and Adeel were going out for Turkish food after they got off work at 7:30 (we got off at 6) so Tonya came back to my apartment and hung out until 7:30 and then we all met up.  The food was really good.  Garlic Naan is my new favorite thing, mostly because it’s basically garlic bread, which was my old favorite thing.  The chicken kebab wrap was really good too.  Then we went out to Baskin Robbin, which is always good.  Tonya and I get along pretty well, we discovered.  We watched Superbad (or part of it) and just chilled out, and then went to this cute clothes shop on my street.  She's really fun and cool.  We're talking about going to China together over Christmas break.  Shannon and I are getting along well still.  We're all going out to Now Bar, an international bar in Yeongtong- the neighborhood where our school is- tomorrow night.  We might grab a few drinks first and possibly karaoke after (which means I will watch them karaoke as I am still terrified of singing in front of people and no amount of alcohol makes me forget this fear).  It should be fun.  I'm glad I'm getting to know the area better.  The restaurant was actually near Suwon Station, which is the main subway stop in Suwon.  It has a mall on top of the subway station, and a movie theater on top of the mall.  There are lots of shops, and small food tables on the street, and TONS of people.  In addition to the subway it is also a larger train station for getting to farther away cities or getting to Seoul much faster.  I get the feeling that I will be spending a lot of time here, since so many things are centrally and conveniently located.

I’ve realized that the neighborhood where I live, called Gokbanjeondong, is very isolated.  On one side there is a large field that is blocked off for soon-to-come construction, on another side there is a freeway, and on a third side there are several large rice paddies.  Just to get to Yeongtong, which is a neighborhood where many of Suwon’s English teachers live and work, or Suwon Station, which I mentioned has many of the things necessary to get around and properly socialize, it takes about 25 minutes by bus, and there is no subway nearby.  More often than not we end up taking cabs to get places, particularly when there are a few of us going.  Part of that is that cabs in Korea are not that expensive (nowhere near as bad as the cabs I encountered in New York City).  It’s also partly that the buses that run through my neighborhood are not convenient and rarely go exactly where you want to be.  The two buses that do go directly from the nearest bus stop to Suwon Station actually take almost an hour because they take a very circuitous route.

It is a bit frustrating to live somewhere that is so remote, particularly when I was told this would not be the case.  During my interview with the school I asked about where our apartments were in relation to the school.  Would I be able to walk?  I was told that some of the teachers walk to school, and that it is only about fifteen minutes or maybe twenty away.  It’s barely fifteen minutes in a cab, unless there is no traffic.  To walk it takes around 45 minutes, and no one does it.  Because I had been told it was so close to the school, all the research I had done was about Yeongtong, the neighborhood where the school is located, which is a really great place to live.  Gokban?  Not so much.


I mentioned this to one of the other teachers, and she told me that sometimes Korean companies will do exactly that: tell you what you want to hear rather than the truth.  It gets them what they want, so I can understand why they do it.  However, it’s not great for the person being passed creative realities.

No comments:

Post a Comment