Tuesday, August 4, 2009

First day teaching... or observing I suppose


I am seriously starting to love it here.

First of all, the stuff as school seems extremely straightforward and easy.  I had my first day today, where Jeremy and I combined our classes and I essentially observed what he was doing. Tomorrow I’m on my own, but I feel totally prepared for it.  The kids are also super fun.  There are more kids in the first class, and some of them are really cute.  All of them are much better at English than the afternoon kids, because they come five days a week whereas the afternoon kids only come three days a week.  

A few of the kids, in a nutshell:

Morning Kindergarten:

Bright Kim: This is going to be the kid I have stories about for the next two weeks.  All of the teachers know and love him.  He’s hilarious, and totally strange, though intelligent.  Today they had to write six “O” words that they knew, and most of them just copied the “O” words on the word board, which is essentially what they were supposed to do.  Not Bright Kim.  Bright Kim came up with “Organ,” “Ostrich,” and “Orchestra” on his own.  He also drew me a train that said “Happy” on it, then said he was not happy and did not like trains.  He shared his MoonPie with me at snack time and tackled me during play time when I was helping him with a puzzle, and wrapped his arms and legs around me so that when I stood up I had a Bright Kim fanny pack.  His head is shaped like a giant loaf of bread.

Thomas: CRAZY.  He was also really funny and talented at English.  He is Bright Kim’s best friend.

Sueong Ho: Sneezed on me.  Thanks Sueong Ho.

Afternoon Kindergarten:

Linda: Would NOT stop holding my hand.  She is cute as a button, with curly hair and insanely cute clothes.  No idea what’s going on, ever, and just does whatever she feels like.  She has almost no grasp of the English language.

My personal favorite of the day was Kevin.  He was totally uninterested in me for the first two hours, and then I played with him for about thirty seconds (literally) at the end of free play time and after that he was IN LOVE with me.  He kept sitting on my lap, or trying to sneak up on me and tickle me.  My favorite was that game, because if I caught him he would try to lean against the wall and whistle, looking away as if to say that I hadn’t caught him, and then he’d back away slowly.  Only he couldn't whistle, so he just sort of blew air out and sputtered.  After a while he started army crawling up behind me.  That worked the first few times.  He’s very silly and extremely cute.

In defense of the way I will probably write about my children in the future (and have already written about them here) I will say this: I am well aware that I am not supposed to have favorites.  Rule number one of being a teacher is that you don’t play favorites with your children.  Well, rule number one is don’t punch them in the face, rule two is don’t play the shaken baby game, rule three is don’t play favorites.  It’s still an important rule.  I understand why.  I also know that having favorites or liking one thing or one person more than another is a huge part of human nature and by and large it cannot be helped.  I liked all the kids I worked with today.  I’m sure I will continue to like them, and my favorite students will shift a bit from day to day, week to week.  I treat my kids equally.  But I am not going to sit here and pretend to you, my readers who don’t know these children, that I don’t have favorites, because I do.  I can’t help it, and I’m not going to feel guilty for being human.

Moving right along.

After work Allison, Jeremy, and Holly took me out to dinner at this place a few doors down from my apartment, set to be my first experience with Korean barbeque or gkalbi.  OH MY GOD IT WAS SO DELICIOUS.  There was this really good, somewhat spicy soup that I poured over white rice, which was delicious, and another soup with roasted garlic and sautéed sweet onions.  The main course was sweet marinated pork ribs that get cooked right in the middle of the table on a frying pan type surface, and then you put the pork on a leaf of lettuce, drop on some sauces and rice, wrap it up and shove it in your mouth.  There was also beef and another kind of pork that Holly said is like Korean bacon and it was all SO GOOD.  I loved every bite.  Some of the sidedishes, like the kimchi, were slightly too spicy for me, but Allison said there’s plenty of delicious Korean food that isn’t spicy at all, like the stuff we ate tonight.  Even the spicy-ish soup (called kimchi chigue or kimchi stew) was delicious and a bit spicier than I could usually handle.  I’m getting the feeling that living here and eating all this delicious food is going to make me more amenable to eating spicy foods back home.  I’ve never really cared for spice before, but the stuff here is delicious and I could see myself becoming more accustomed to the flavors.

Oh man, I can’t stop obsessing over how good it all was.

Holly is really cool, and she’s staying here for another year and a half.  Allison and Jeremy are married and they’ve been here a year already so they’re leaving in a few weeks.  Anna is leaving too, and I’m taking over her class once I’m done with Tara’s.  There are five new people coming, but I’m the first one here of the newbies, since I have the most experience with kids, so I’m getting to know a lot of the older teachers before they leave.  I’m starting to get really excited about the prospect of this position and this time spent living abroad. 

Also, there is bread easily available, and a foreign section at the local supermarket, and apparently there’s good pizza down the street from work. So when I get homesick I can pretend nothing’s changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment