Thursday, July 30, 2015

Tiger Snuggles and Elephant Trekking

Toward the end of my time living in Thailand my parents called and invited themselves to visit during my mom’s Spring Break.  I finished my contract at the end of March, but ended up staying a few weeks in April waiting for them.  The first week two of my friends from Thailand and I went on a trip to Koh Chang and just relaxed the entire time.  The second week I was alone, but it was nice to have some extra time.

The third week they arrived.  They got in late Saturday night, so clearly I took them out early Sunday morning to adventure around Bangkok.  Our first stop was the only essential stop in Bangkok: the Grand Palace.  The day was extremely hot, as tends to happen in Bangkok, particularly during the hot, wet season (clearly).  The palace was, as usual, spectacular.  I’ve written about it previously.  Mom and Dad were both duly impressed.  That evening I took them out to eat at one of my favorite sit-down restaurants in Bangkok, called Cabbages and Condoms.  The restaurant is a charity to help spread awareness about STDs like AIDS and protection to sex workers.  Apparently Thailand has an extremely high AIDS rate, and the restaurant’s owners are trying to help cut it down.  Not only is it a noble cause, but also the food is great.  I always get the Masuman Curry because DELICIOUS.

Late that night we jumped on an overnight train to Chiang Mai, a jungle city up in the north of the country.  The train takes fourteen hours, so taking it overnight is the best call.  My mom complained a lot about sleeping on the train, and even my dad admitted that it was difficult for people their age.  However, for someone young it worked pretty well.  I slept decently, all things considered.  The train there had compartments with four beds, bunk style, the bottom bunks of which we used as couches to play cards with the fourth person in our room, a British guy traveling to meet his girlfriend.  Later on we fell asleep (at least I did, though they both had a harder time) and when we woke up we were almost to Chiang Mai.  We climbed down and ate breakfast, and when we were done we had arrived.

My parents had booked a hotel in Chiang Mai, which I am trying to remember and am drawing a blank on.  Not just the name, but also literally anything about the place except that it was pretty nice.  Anyway, first thing I booked a tour to go elephant trekking.  We didn’t have a lot of time in Chiang Mai (only a week in the country and I wanted to take them to at least one beach as well) so I wanted to make sure we got the important stuff taken care of.  That afternoon we adventured about and went to the Chiang Mai Zoo, where I had never been.  They had pandas, which I hate but have to admit were pretty cool.  Side note: people may be asking, “How can you hate a panda?”  Easily.  I can quite easily hate a panda.  They are carnivores that are too lazy to hunt and opt instead to eat only one plant whose nutritional value is such that they have to eat it all day to survive, to the extent that the planet is running out of that plant.  In addition, they refuse to propagate their own species.  If they weren’t cute we would have let them die a long time ago.  Get it together or get lost dudes, seriously.  The cooler part of the zoo (for me) was that we got to feed the giraffes.  At my local zoo in Portland the giraffes are down low and you view them from above, much higher than they can reach.  At the Chiang Mai zoo you stand on ground level with them, with just a small but deep moat between them and the chest-high fence.  They would lean over the fence and you could feed them bananas by hand.  Their tongues are black.  Black, you guys.

The elephant tour was the next day.  We stopped first at an orchid garden and butterfly farm, which had pretty flowers and a cool gift shop, but was otherwise skip-able.  If it weren’t part of the tour we would have left a lot sooner.  Then we went straight to the elephant place.  We went through Jumbo Trekkers because I had used them before, they are the most affordable, and the extra activities after riding elephants were good.  The place I went this time was different than the place I had gone in the past.

The first time I went was with my roommate, and we had a great time, until the end when a truck came rumbling up the elephant path and backfired, scaring the shit out of my young male elephant.  He ran (in so much as elephants can run, which is to say he lightly jogged) down the hill and then tried (repeatedly) to scrape me off on a tree, finally rearing into the air when I remained on his back (it was too far to jump or I would have obliged him).  Then when we went to bathe him he slammed his trunk into our guide, throwing him about five feet against the riverbank.  Still, they took him away and we washed my roommate’s elephant, and spent time with her because she was mellower, and all in all it was a good experience.  It’s not their fault my elephant got mad.

This time was even better.  We had two elephants to split between the three of us, and we learned all the commands to tell them how to go forward, backward, stop, and turn.  We also learned how to tell them we had food for them.  Then we rode them through the forest, giving them commands on our own while our guides took photos of us with our cameras and with their own.  Along the path a man from a nearby village tossed me a bag of chopped up pineapple rinds to feed my elephant, and she really liked them.  The path ended at the river where we climbing in and washed them off, the elephants occasionally showering us with their trunks.  We rode back to the start and ate a homemade lunch prepared for us by the staff.  There was good curry and sweet and sour chicken, which is a favorite of mine (the way Thais do it).  It was a great morning.

Next we went white water rafting down a river, which was entertaining.  The rapids weren’t very intense and large portions of the river were mostly just floating, but it was nice.  At the end we got out of the boats and onto a bamboo raft, where a man took us down the now calm river using a long pole, gondola style.  It was relaxing and easy.  At the end was a little shop where we bought bottles of water and popsicles to help us cool down.

For the end of our trip we hiked up into the jungle.  It was just a young couple, our guide, and us.  As we hiked my mom and the guide talked about the local flora, much of which mom grows here at home, only in pots.  The hike wasn’t too long, and it ended at a small waterfall that fed a pool, with a stream trickling gently out the other side.  We stripped down to our swim gear and climbed into the refreshingly cold mountain water.  It was a great way to end the tour.

We only had one more day in Chiang Mai, so we looked up different things we wanted to see.  We went to the Chiang Mai palace, which wasn’t that impressive, and through much of the old Chiang Mai.  Then we decided to go to the Tiger Kingdom.

I’ve done tigers in Thailand before and it was depressing, so I wasn’t very excited about this part of the trip, but I was willing to keep an open mind.  The Tiger Temple I’d gone to in the past was a Buddhist temple turned tourist trap where the tigers were obviously drugged to the point of lethargy.  Their excuse was that cats sleep most of the day, but even my housecat would react if I slapped her in the face to wake her up (which I saw them do to one tiger, which barely reacted). 

This place was different.  It was set up as a place for tourists to go, and planned accordingly.  All the tigers there had been raised by hand from the time they were cubs, and were extremely accustomed to people because of it.  Some websites claim these tigers are also drugged, but it didn’t seem that way to me.  My mom and I both went to play with the baby tigers, and one of them was extremely playful with my mom.  However, the moment he got too physical one of the workers jumped in and calmed him down, saying it helped keep them more docile and better trained when they were older.  We fed them with a bottle, and played with babies ranging in age from three months to eight months.  After that they are moved to another area with tigers their own age and size.  Then my mom went to the big tigers.  I didn’t have enough money, so I just watched her.  It was her, the tigers, and about five guys taking pictures and keeping an eye on the tigers.  With one of the large males my mom started to rub his belly, because the guide said his fur might be less coarse there.  The tiger immediately rolled over onto his back in ecstasy, pinning my mom’s legs to the ground.  But he was happy, so she was happy.  It was great.

On our way back into the city we stopped at an area where you can visit local tribes.  This was another example of a place that had once perhaps been real, but had turned into a tourist trap.  It was interesting to see all the different clothing worn by the different tribes, and the women who wore rings around their necks, wrists, and ankles to make them longer and thinner were interesting.  However, the entire way up the women were sitting on their front porches, which they had turned into shops.  There were all sorts of trinkets you could buy.  My mom loved it, but we were out of cash so we couldn’t buy anything.  It also just seemed a little awkward, going to gawk at these women and then giving them money and taking little things we didn’t need just to make ourselves feel better about it.  I didn’t enjoy it.

We took the train back to Bangkok that night, and this time the set-up was different.  It was more like a regular train car, with seats that converted into full-blown beds at night.  I liked it, but not as much as having a compartment.  My parents didn’t appreciate it at all.

The next morning we got up early and hustled across town to catch a mini-bus to a ferry so we could go to Koh Samet.  Koh Samet is a little bit lesser-known island that near Bangkok, only a three hour bus and a short ferry ride away.  There isn’t much to do on the island, so it’s often frequented more by locals and English teachers than tourists, though some do go.  The beaches are all white sand, with hotel restaurants right there on the beach.  Our hotel wasn’t the nicest by my parents’ standards, but I was fine with it.  We went in the ocean and applied sunscreen a thousand times and still got burned and the water was too warm so it wasn’t refreshing but it was still fun.  Did you like that run on?  I did.  We ate good food and watched a fire show on the beach, then slept in late, took a quick dip in the morning, changed, and took a speedboat back to the bus to Bangkok.  When going to Koh Samet one small pointer: take the speedboat, not the ferry.  The ferry is very, very slow and there is no regular schedule, they just wait until it is completely full of goods and people.  There is no fresh water on the island so they have to bring it in from the mainland, and they take a while to fill the boat.  The one time I took the ferry I had to wait over an hour before it was full enough to leave.  Just take a speedboat for like, $10 more.

We got back to my apartment that night and crashed, then they woke up early and flew home.  I finished packing and flew back the next day.  It was a great, though admittedly hectic, trip.  I just figured that with only a week it was better to be exhausted and do a lot than to sleep the time away and only see a few things.


I’d rather be busy than boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment