Wednesday, February 10, 2010

This Week's "Cuteness of the Week" Award

Today was activity day, which isn't really important. It's Lunar New Year coming up, so we made wooden tops, they dressed in Hanbok, they bowed to me, and we talked about resolutions.  It was cute and fun, but that’s not the point of this entry.

Every Activity day there is a special lunch that is smaller than regular lunch because the TPs are super busy during activity days and don't have enough time to serve the larger lunch. The lunch consists of a clementine, a roll with melted cheese on top, and shrimp fried rice. The shrimp is tiny and there isn't a lot of it, but I still can't eat it because the rice has been cooked with the shrimp. The first activity day I went to, however, I didn't even notice the shrimp, ate a huge serving of rice and felt sick for the rest of the day. Because I can't have the rice, Miss Theresa (the lunch lady) always puts in extra rolls and clementines for me. I sit at a table with Thomas, Cherry, Andrew, and Jully, with my back to my other students (Miss Young sits at their table).

Today, I sat down with my tray full of rolls and oranges, and Thomas asked me why I didn't have any rice. I told him I had an allergy. He said shrimp was one of his favorite foods, which Ryan chimed in on. He heard that part from the other table, and said it was one of his favorites, and asked why I didn't like it because he hadn't heard the first part of the conversation. I repeated myself, saying I loved shrimp but that I can't eat it anymore. Sally, who sits across from Ryan and about as far away from me as possible, having heard nothing but this, asks if I have an allergy. I say I do and explain to the other kids what an allergy is because they didn't understand. Everyone then turns back to their food and proceeds to eat.

A minute, maybe two, passes in complete silence. Then, out of nowhere, Sally jumps out of her chair and yells "Miss Kelsey! Don't eat the rice! It has shrimp!" I turn around to look at her and she is reaching out toward me (from about ten feet away), and she looks so concerned and afraid for me. It was adorable. This little girl who is only seven years old, was THAT concerned about my health. It was like I was about to go into a room that had a bomb in it, or as if I were the heroine in a scary movie, running from the villain and trying to get away by running up the stairs. She literally JUMPED out of her chair (she actually almost knocked it over) and reached out for me, just to warn me about my rice.


Honestly, the first thing I thought was that this girl actually cares about me. I'm not just some white lady she's known for six months. She really loves me. Then, when we practiced our graduation songs after lunch she sat on my lap and leaned her head on my shoulder while she sang. And when I told her I'm teaching the new class she'll be starting in a few weeks, she got so excited she practically tackled me just to give me a hug. So, in other words, the cuteness of the week award goes to: everything Sally did today. Thanks for making me feel amazing, my love.

No comments:

Post a Comment