Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Start on Thailand: Phuket

When we first got to Phuket, I was amazed at how warm it was. Compared to Korea, Thailand was paradise. Compared to pretty much everywhere else in the world, Thailand was paradise. We got in later at night, and went straight to our hotel. It was a guesthouse owned by a Korean family, which was great because our living in Korea made them like us more. They were really nice, and we just went up right to our rooms. The place was VERY nice, particularly for what we were paying. The next morning we woke up and went straight to the beach.

We stayed at Patong Beach, which is the big party beach, but the nightlife sucked. Due to its reputation it was extremely popular, and overcrowded. It wasn't even a very nice beach- a bit too reminiscent of Florida for my taste. There were a lot of foreigners there, particularly Germans, Russians, Brits, and (above all) Aussies. Women were walking around topless (even though it's not generally acceptable in Thailand). Most of the men were in tiny little swim trunks and there were thongs EVERYWHERE. Still, it was nice to be in the ocean. The Indian Ocean is saltier than the Pacific or Atlantic (from what I can tell) and much less wavy. The water was extremely warm and comfortable, and it was possible to just float on top of the water all the time.

That morning we were all swimming in the water together, and Shannon saw this little fish swimming toward her. It couldn't have been longer than my index finger, but she kept dancing to get away from it, and it kept chasing her. It started to get really close, and she freaked out and started screaming. She swam over to me and climbed on my back. Tonya, Kristen and I were screaming too, mostly because we didn't know what the hell was going on. The fish kept swimming at Shannon, only since she was on my back it was then swimming toward me. Shannon was clinging on like a starfish, her arms around my neck and her legs around my waist, everyone was screaming, and right as the fish came within range I slapped it and it went flying. Let me tell you, I felt like a badass, even though we all looked like fools.

That night we went out, and one of the first things we noticed (it was hard not to notice) was the Thai prostitutes. There were all dressed in red, hanging out in all the bars along our street. There were creepy, nerdy, old, and/or fat white men talking to them in all the bars, some of the men leading them down the street by the hand, presumably back to their hotels. It was really strange to see something like that so out in the open, when it's something you rarely or never see back home. We went out, and it was fine, though it wasn't that impressive. There were two Thai guys throwing around and spinning burning ropes, which was pretty cool.  On the way home we walked along the beach. I was dancing along the beach happily, ankle deep in the water, when I accidentally flung my wallet (which I was using as a purse and thus holding in my hand) into the ocean. I caught it just as a wave threatened to carry it out to sea. The wallet itself was ruined, but everything inside was just fine.

The next day we went shopping in all the little stalls along the street and in the market area. We all bought a few dresses, and a purse, and some souvenirs. They gave the most outrageous prices at first, and we had to learn to bargain. At first I was terrible. They would laugh at my first offer and agree right away. I got better as time passed, and pretty soon never paid more than half their first asking price. The trick is to offer something ridiculously low, and if they don't agree, you say no and walk away. They usually call you back to accept your stupidly low offer. It was fun. There was one shop in the market that we kept going back to, and the women would start laughing as soon as we started bargaining because we were so stubborn. Kristen would fight with one of the women for about 15 minute every time, and they were both laughing through the whole thing because neither of them would budge. It was entertaining to say the least.

The second day we went to Karon beach, which is just south of Patong. It was a lot less populated and a lot more beautiful. The water was gorgeous, and it felt like a cool bath. Not cold, but cool, and it was the perfect relief from the sun which was SCORCHING that day. We couldn't even walk on the sand at all because it was burning the bottoms of our feet so badly. The color of the water was like liquid aquamarines- a clear, light, perfect blue-green that I have never seen before in nature. It was so clear that even when we went neck deep in the water, which was still pretty waveless, you could see the color of everyone's pedicures. It was gorgeous.

That night, December 26, 2009, was the five-year anniversary of the tsunami that hit Thailand to devastating effects. Before we went out, we walked down to the beach. There were mounds and designs carved into the beach, in the form of flowers, stars, and other shapes. Inside the carved out areas, there were votive candles floating in shallow water. All of these things were monuments dedicated to people lost in the tsunami. The thing that struck me, that I guess I hadn't heard much about at the time, was that it happened at the peak of tourist season. I never realized that many people who lost their lives were simply people on vacation, relaxing their cares away the day after Christmas, only to be killed without warning. All along the beach people were lighting wish lanterns. They were these large cylindrical paper lanterns, mostly white, which only cost about $2. You light a circle of some flammable substance, and then hold the paper of the lantern up until it fills up with hot air, like a hot air balloon. Once it fills you release it, and it flies away over the ocean. Then you make a wish. Our whole group did them. It was really beautiful, and you could watch them fly way high up into the atmosphere, until they were so small they looked like tiny, moving, orange stars. It was beautiful.

The third day Shannon and I went on an elephant trek, which had a couple things included. We went for a ride around the area (which was at the southern end of Phuket island from what I could tell, and a bit inland) in an ox cart. It was okay. It was cool to see the inside of complex where all the stuff was taking place, but the ride itself was a bit boring. After that we got to go to an elephant show. The elephants were all babies, and some were better trained than others. There were three. One of them played basketball and darts. One of them played soccer. The smallest one of all gave massages. I went down and got one. I laid on my stomach on a mat on the ground, and he patted me lightly on the back with his foot. Toward the end he started giving me kisses on the cheek and shoulder with his trunk. It tickled, and was kind of gross but it was definitely cool. Next was the monkey show. I don't know what kind of monkeys they were (there were two of the same kind) but they were pretty funny. They rode tricycles, dunked on a small basketball hoop, climbed up into trees and knocked down coconuts, etc. At the end, one of the monkeys went around shaking hands with people in the crowd and picking up baht (Thai money) that people would throw on the ground. He would pick it up and put it in his trainer's pocket. I went forward to shake the monkey's hand, and instead of shaking my hand he put his hands together and looked up to the sky, like he was praying. Then he slapped me.  Shannon laughed at me, because it looked like he was praying to not have to touch me. So I started to walk away, and he immediately came forward and grabbed my hand. He held my hand and walked me all the way to the outside of the monkey area. It was hilarious. We joked that now we knew that he wasn't praying to not have to touch me, but that I'd kiss him at the end of the date when he walked me to the door.  I don’t know what the slap was for.

Then we rode the elephant, and it was pretty cool. Our elephant was a mama (basically the only word our guide could say in English, except for "banana," which we bought to feed the elephant) and she was 40 years old. Looking at elephants it's difficult to imagine that they could ever be young. They seem to be ancient from youth. Even the babies that we saw in the show seemed to be old and wise, it was something about their skin and eyes. I don't know how to explain it. Maybe it's also something about how slowly they move. It was hard to believe that our elephant was so young. Somehow it seemed young, though some people might consider it old. I don't know. The ride was pretty short, but it was still pretty cool. Our guide sat on the elephant's head, and we sat on a bench on it's back, holding an umbrella to protect us from the sun. It was a good day all in all.

When we got back we all went to our favorite restaurant down the street from our guesthouse by the beach. They had the best Pad Thai we ate the whole time we were in Thailand. Their menu was in English first, then in Thai, followed by German, and finally Italian. There was even a whole page of stuff like weinerschnitzel on the menu. A whole page exclusively dedicated to German food. Interesting.


I will write about the other two islands separately, as one entry with all three places would (from the looks of it) be far too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment