Thursday, November 19, 2009

Bitter Winter Cold and Guns Guns Guns

Hello friends and neighbors and welcome to this week’s episode of “Holy Fuck It Is Freezing!”
On tonight’s episode: Siberian Fucking Winds.
I know I don’t ordinarily swear this much, but trust me: it’s warranted.  I’ve been wearing my winter coat and at least one scarf (yes, at least) every day for a few weeks now, and it snowed last weekend.  One day it was so cold that I had on three scarves- one on my throat, one on my face, and one on my head.  And I was still cold.  Thank god for those inexpensive New York scarves I bought a ton of, or I would be in even more pain.
The problem is that Korea gets winds that come down from Siberia and over the edge of China, so the air in extremely dry and biting to the point that any millimeter of exposed skin is immediately engulfed in painful pins and needles.  It just plain hurts.  Supposedly this is one of the worst winters in many, many years, but that’s no excuse.  Get your shit together, Korean winter.
What doesn’t help is that the office is currently unheated, so that the only time I’m not wearing my coat and scarves during the day is when I am physically in the classroom teaching, or when I am in my own home where I can crank the floor heat, bills be damned.  Most of the school day my hands are numb from having to be exposed in order to type effectively.  We told the administration that the office was too cold so they gave us one heat lamp, which barely heats one small section of the room.  We told them that and they gave us one more heat lamp.  And then took the first one away the next day.  So that was nice.
Something that I’ve discovered that is nice about Korean winter (or at least, that Koreans do well in winter) is the aforementioned floor heat.  The heaters are under the flooring so that the first thing to get warm is the thing you’re putting your cold feet and toes on (brilliant) upon which you can also quite easily sit (well done).  Plus, since heat rises, having the heating unit in the floor makes the most sense because it also heats the air throughout the room as the heat rises from the floor up to the ceiling.  This is the best method of heating I’ve ever heard of.  Get your shit together, America.
Speaking of ways in which America needs to get its shit together, gun control in Korea is a non-issue because they have no guns.  Like, nobody has guns.  Most adults that I know in Korea are afraid of knife violence, because you can’t control knives (how would we eat meat, in one large piece or ripped apart by hand?  Ineffectual!).  So when the kids here pretend their hands are guns or build guns out of Legos or blocks, no one says anything because they are just playing, and in a way that American kids can’t play.  Korean children aren’t desensitizing themselves to guns because there are no guns toward which to become desensitized.  A gun is a toy when you’re a child, and then a concept when you are an adult.  It changes the dynamic in an interesting way.
Korean TV even blurs out guns in movies and TV, and knives in extreme cases, plus cigarettes, blood, nudity, and sex.  I watched an episode of TruBlood the other day and it was about five minutes long.  And you couldn’t see half the things on the screen.

Somehow it wasn’t the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment