Sunday, October 11, 2009

A Festival, a Parade, a Psychotic Photographer, and a Soccer Game

Yesterday there was a festival at Paldalmun, the south gate of the Suwon fortress, in honor of the fortress.  My teaching partner Young invited me, and so I met her there with Tween, Kristen, Cally, and Erica.  Young's friend Seo ra also met us.  We walked around a bit and went to a huge food festival area, where there were tents with all sorts of foods.  Young got a really yummy beef skewer, which she shared with everyone, and then I got a delectable chicken skewer.  

Here's the weird part.  After I got my skewer, we went off to stand somewhere and eat.  While I was eating, this Korean man with a huge professional camera came running over to me and started taking photos of me eating the skewer.  I was pretty uncomfortable because I hate having my picture taken, but he wouldn't leave me alone.  Then another man saw what he was doing and came over and started taking pictures too.  I was bright red, my face was covered in sauce, all my friends were laughing at me and talking about how much I was blushing, and these men had probably snapped about ten photos each.  I finally just posed for a photo and then, when they didn't stop, literally ran away.  

They chased me.  

Sometimes it's a bit awkward being white in Korea.   I am extraordinarily white here.  My body is shaped very differently from theirs, my hair is much lighter than even most foreigners' hair, and my eyes are big and bright blue.  I seem to be targeted more than Kristen, whose hair is dark brown and straight, or Cally, whose eyes are not as bright blue as mine.  Later, during the parade, another man came up to the table where we were sitting, leaned across the whole thing and waved directly in my face (I was sitting away from the sidewalk).  Even after I said hello he didn't leave, so I turned away toward the street and about thirty seconds later he left.  It's really weird to stand out so much.  Tween and I hang out a lot, and she hates it because she isn't used to people staring at her since she's Vietnamese and blends in more.

After the food we found a spot to sit for the parade.  While we were sitting there, a parade organizer came over and plopped down a large plastic bottle of Hite (one of the main Korean beers) and some paper cups.  For free.  I know that drinking is not necessarily frowned upon in the United States, but here it's almost insulting if you don't drink.  Everyone drinks, at all hours of the day, in the open, behind closed doors, in front of the kids, liquor, beer, wine, whatever.  EVERYONE drinks.  

The parade was really cool, and I took tons of photos.  Because last weekend when we were at Chang Gyung Gung Kristen broke her camera, she took my digital camera and took pictures with it while I used my SLR and took about three rolls of black and white.  Now I just need to find somewhere to develop them all.  After the parade we went up the street and ate some delicious mandoo, which are kind of like potstickers, but with thinner dough.  Essentially they are just amazingly good dumplings.

Then today, Shannon wanted to go to a soccer game, so she, Tonya, Tween and I met up and went to Suwon's World Cup Stadium to watch them play against Ulsan (and no, I don't know where Ulsan is.  In Korea somewhere, I’d imagine).  We found out later it was a semifinal match.  The Suwon team is supposedly the best team in South Korea, so it was pretty entertaining.  We bought a few six packs and just chilled while we watched them WIN!  It was really fun and relaxing.  Soccer is a pretty big deal here.  They have sections for the die hard fans, where it seems you can't sit unless you're wearing the team's colors.  They sing songs there, and do special dances that go with the songs (which is cool to watch since a whole section of people are all moving together) and get really into it.  I enjoyed myself a lot.


It was a busy weekend, but a fun one, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment